feel free to contact either myself or the TAs about any
questions or comments that you may have, though please
consult the web site first for information about the
are some guidelines about how to make comments in an
online course. The list is adapted from William A. Draves,
Teaching Online (River Falls, WI: LERN Books, 2002),
- Think of your comments as printed in a newspaper.
- Do not get emotional.
- Sign your real name.
- Avoid self-centered comments. ("I'm frustrated.")
- Avoid negativity. ("The book was stupid!")
- No flaming, all caps, !!!, ??? (This comes across
- Comments should be polite, understated, and use positive
- Disagree politely.
- Don't disrupt. (Start a new discussion, if you like,
but don't disrupt the flow of one that is ongoing,
if you want to change the subject.)